Monday, October 29, 2007

Inquiry paper thoughts

I think the general public will find this topic important, however; the audience my paper will draw will be a select group of people. The people I am expecting to be most interested in my paper are people with young children and/or people who are considering having children. Readers will find the question of issues concerning speech delay and how it affects a young child’s learning of literacy most interesting and helpful when they have a connection or some sort of personal experience with the topic.
I don’t see why a scholarly discourse community would not be interested in the questions and concerns my paper may raise when preschool and kindergarten-aged children are the ones who will be running the country in the not so distant future. If a discourse community is labeled as “scholarly,” then it is assumed that they will care about the education and emerging problems of our youth.

I think that the topic of speech delay and how it affects the learning of literacy in a young child is universally believed to be a quite important and more common problem in schools today. The number of children being diagnosed with speech delays and impediments is growing more and more each year and it is important to know how it affects a child’s learning. With new knowledge of how it affects learning in certain areas, specifically literacy in this case, teachers will know where and how to adjust their lesson plans so that all children will receive equal opportunity at success in the classroom.
My experience working at a daycare for over two years has left me with the impression that parents depend on teachers to notice learning disabilities that may be present in their children and expect the teachers to correct it without any professional outside help (i.e. speech therapist). In today’s society, most parents are too busy with their lifestyle aside from their children to take the time to get the help their child needs and assume that their child’s schoolteacher will correct it, or the problem will correct itself in time. I’m hoping that this idea will change with the results of my paper.

I am writing this paper with hopes that the results will have an effect on my target audience and that after all is said and done, people will take action on the problems existing not only in terms of speech impediments but in other areas of a child’s life as well. I am going to write this paper in hopes that parents and teachers will learn a great deal about how critical it is for children to learn literacy at the preschool/kindergarten age and that existing issues in their development may have an impact with their learning.

No comments: