Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Factness and my Inquiry project

When thinking about whom I can talk to that would provide me with information containing “factness,” I realize that there are a larger number of people in which I could talk to than I had originally thought. Because my topic is based on young children and how their development of literacy skills is affected by issues surrounding speech, I could talk to parents of these children and obtain their take on the topic. Someone with firsthand personal experience, such as a parent, is bound to have some sort of opinion on my topic; parents not only deal with their child’s issue outside of the realm of education, they also deal with it in everyday life.
Second, I am certain that the teacher(s) of a child who is struggling with either a speech delay or impediment would have plenty of facts on how this child’s problem may or may not be affecting their growing knowledge of literacy. The only catch is that I would have to interview a teacher whom has had many years of teaching experience with preschool and kindergarten-aged children and who also places a great emphasis on literacy. I believe that a teacher with these credentials would be extremely beneficial in contributing information that has factness to my research.
I also would consider interviewing a teacher who belongs to a different discourse community aside from a school setting. This would be a daycare teacher who has had years of experience teaching three-five year olds. My current job has given me some insight on the different types of problems in which can occur in young children when it comes to literacy and I am lucky to know five people whom have encountered problems relating to my topic as they have worked in the field for four plus years. Because a daycare has a more informal atmosphere than an actual school would, these coworkers of mine may have different opinions and examples than a school teacher would.
I also cannot leave out speech therapists and teachers who are certified to teach children with special needs. I may include people such as Jan Writer, a professor at Elmhurst College, who specializes in catering to children who have needs other than what constitutes the norm. She also teaches college students these same things. I may opt to include her as she may have information that has factness to it and I may also look up and interview some of the speech professionals we have at Elmhurst College. These people will have one on one experience working with children who have speech impediments and these professionals may be able to provide me with some of their knowledge. Texts that hold factness that relates to my topic may be harder to come across as I am yet to find anything. I feel as though the best type of information regarding my topic would be found in texts written by former or present teachers along with scholars, researchers, and possibly even credible doctors and physicians. These people are all bound to have important information that has factness and will help me with my research topic. Besides interviewing the people above listed and reading texts relating to my topic, I can and will use electronic journals to find articles with factness relating to the topic of speech issues and the development of literacy in young children. Also, I can conduct my own research in two ways. First, by handing out surveys to parents with young children along with preschool and kindergarten teachers I will gain more insight on just how many children are experiencing issues regarding their speech development, and how it may or may not affect their ability to learn literacy at the same rate and level other children their age are learning.
Secondly, I can go to a school, daycare, or both to observe preschool and kindergartners to see how they learn literacy and how the children with learning barriers are taught; I am curious if their learning is at the same pace/level as the other children who do not have any restrictions or barriers on their development. I believe my observations will acquire some factness and information that would not be learned otherwise.

No comments: